The Landstuhl Ölmühle, earlier also known as the “upper mill”, was one of six mills on the Hembach stream of which several were there before the Thirty Years War (1618-1648). They were all owned by a noble man and entrusted to capable millers. During the Thirty Years War, all of the mills were destroyed and only ruins remained.
About 1690, the nobels von Sickingen, rebuilt the “upper mill” so that the people would have flour. In 1723 the Kinsbach restaurant owner of “The Swan”, Kilian Menges, purchased the mill property for 300 Gulden. He was obliged to deliver 13 Malter of grain each year to the city treasury as his lease payment. He also had to maintain the stream to the mill.